Sunday, April 10, 2011

New herb garden

I finally got my new herb garden planted today. It doesn't look like much in this photo but I am pleased with how it turned out.
I was pleased and surprised to find how well the lasagna method worked. On the smaller pots, I only had to push aside the layers of compost and leaves to place the plants on top of the cardboard. With the larger pots it was easy to cut through the moist cardboard (I have watered the spot occasionally since layering it) and dig below. I planted herbs today and moved in some bulbs that were not getting enough sun in their original location.
First I set out all the plants in their pots to decide where to plant them. Good thing I did this, and started on the left because the first hole I dug was on top of a covered flagstone. I had to shift all the plants on this end. Because I want them all full and stocky, I trimmed most of them a bit. Here are the cuttings - I will wash them and use them this week, or hang them up to dry for use later.
I think I will fill in the bare spots with nectar flowers for the butterflies. As I was taking a picture, a large swallowtail was mudding in the moist soil. I will have to invite it back for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment