Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kale

We cooked fresh kale for dinner last night. I planted two varieties this year. This one is Blue Curlee. Very attractive, but has tiny spines on the edges of the leaves. Ouch!
It needed a good washing; the crinkled leaves are like spinach - they hold dirt. Then I cut the leaves into strips and stir-fried them in a little oil olive with soy sauce and ginger. Pretty good, but I am now on the hunt for new kale recipes.
 I did try kale chips last month. I used Lacinato kale for this recipe, its leaves are slender, slightly bumpy and a beautiful gray-blue color, without the spines. Toss the whole leaves in a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and seasonings and bake at 325 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until crisp. I tried garlic powder and chili powder as my seasoning and liked them both. I think I will try it with curry powder and lemon pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment