Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Welcome - come in

Now for a tour of the inside of our very fine house. Come up the front steps to the porch.
We want to screen it in, but that will be a chore for the future. 
I looked and looked for furniture for the porch this year but couldn't find anything I really liked that would fit the space. I really want teak because I love the warm look and durability. 
Walk in the front door and you are immediately in the great room. To the left is the southern exposure - that wall is mostly windows, letting in beautiful natural light and lovely views of the woods. 
Straight ahead in the hallway is a vignette my friend Amy Bott created. She has a re-design business named SpaceLift http://www.spaceliftinteriors.com/spaceliftinteriors/Welcome.html. When I moved in she helped arrange the furniture and hang art. 
The living room. Notice we have no window coverings. Not necessary in the country. The fireplace has a heat exchanger that vents outside air into the firebox and blows hot air out into the room. It is very efficient, unlike conventional fireplaces and heats the whole upstairs in the winter. The spot to the left of the fireplace was intended for firewood, but houses our TV which pulls out on a rotating tray.
To the left of the front door, adjacent to the kitchen is the dining room. My business partner Sharon gave me this fabulous country dining table that seats 10. The chairs are from a local Amish furniture store (as are the rocking chairs in the living room). It is wonderful to have the room to entertain a crowd. This weekend we are hosting our local friends Christmas dinner and having serving 19. We will set up a folding table in front of the desk for the overflow.
Since I have this nice, comfortable space to work I no longer use my little studio building. I am considering turning it into a real craft studio when I take up basket weaving (no kidding, I really want to learn to weave baskets).

No comments:

Post a Comment