Sunday, July 10, 2011

Grand Teton National Park

The scenery of Grand Teton National Park is not as varied as Yellowstone, but it is equally magnificent. We took a bus tour with our Texas Nursery and Landscaping Assoc. group through the park. They are a really fun group to travel with. Our tour guide Jessie was knowledgeable, and a poet when speaking of his adopted home of Wyoming.
That's Jessie on the right and James and I in the middle. I took this as a jump-in shot (which I find fun).
Jessie knew some cool places to show us and had great stories to go with the locations. Here is one of the buildings that was original to the land before it was purchased (secretly) by the government to make it a National Park. This piece is still private property and can be sold on the open market, but with covenants in the title that it cannot be commercially developed.

Just down the road is another old building, a rustic little church. Not much to look at, but check out the view behind the altar.

I still wish I had taken my better camera, but I didn't want to have to carry it. Luckily, my tiny little Canon Elph takes great photos. I just have trouble with tricky exposures like this.


The weather was perfectly beautiful for our tour. The cerulean blue of the sky makes a lovely canvas for the dramatic cloud formations and the reflection in Jenny Lake.

Notice we were wearing long pants but no jackets on this day. The days did not get hotter than the upper 70s the entire time we were on vacation.  I post this two weeks after we returned to Texas where the temperature has not been below 100 during the day. My brain fried. It has taken me this long to acclimate again and get my thoughts out of sluggish mode.

1 comment:

  1. I have a nearly identical photo through the church window from 1976 when my family visited Wyoming. Even at that young age, I thought that would be a great location to get married.

    ReplyDelete