Saturday, May 28, 2011

Easy Vegetable Gardening

Here's a photo of our garden this week. It is starting to get out of hand with weeding, training, harvesting and bug scouting.
I would prefer a much smaller garden, easier to manage. Like the vegetable garden we have at Blue Moon Gardens. We used the square foot, lasagna garden method.


We have 5 boxes measuring 4 feet by 4 feet. We layered in newspaper, hay, leaves, compost and mulch to create the soil. The box on the left has cucumbers on the trellis, Ethnic Biscayne peppers and in the front right corner, beets.

This is plenty of space to grow veggies for 2 people. You can plant densely, so weeds are not a problem. Here is the harvest of beets I took out of the box. If I had thinned them earlier, I could have gotten twice as much.


I pulled up all the Thumbelina carrots the same day. They were delicious - sweet and crunchy. I planted more basil in there spots to make pesto.

I started harvesting carrots out of my garden a few weeks ago. I planted Sweet Fingerlings. They were disappointing. A nice size, but not sweet. This week I dug some bigger carrots. I don't remember their name; my sign faded. They were nice and sweet, and big enough to grate for salad.
Tomatoes are getting ripe this week. I can report which varieties have the best flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment