Monday, March 28, 2011

Dogwood trees

Dogwood trees peek through the foliage of the East Texas woods, giving a glimpse of snow white blooms. The many native dogwoods in the area are a joy to behold this time of year. Those on the edge of the woods are easy to see. The extra sunlight they receive makes them dense and full of flowers.
Many of my neighbors have planted dogwood trees in their yards. Where they get a lot of sun they look like the one above, round and covered in blooms. They are showy but in a white trash way.  I prefer the look of the dogwoods along my driveway.
I like the surprise of seeing the flash of white high up above me, reminding me that spring really is underway (actually, the amount of work at the nursery reminds of this every day). The rest of the trees will leaf out soon and I won't notice the dogwoods much until fall when they display bright red seeds.
For now, I will enjoy the beauty of my natural dogwoods.
                                                                      
                                                                            



This is the way I think dogwoods should look: sparse and architectural. I agree with the Japanese aesthetic of the natural appearance of gardens and nature. I love seeing the open form of these trees in their natural, beautiful state.


1 comment:

  1. Hi
    I knew and loved dogwood flowers since reading the best short story: Dogwood Dream by Robert Walton. Do you know this story? Here:http://steeltoereview.com/2012/01/27/dogwood-dream-by-robert-walton/.

    ReplyDelete